I recently upgraded a server (Mandriva 2010 to Mageia 3), and even though the account and mhonarc/mharc parts were not modified in any way, the upgrade somehow broke them. As if something changed in procmail, or perl, or something like that.

One change is that while previously if the input mail spool held two messages, they would both be processed fully, now only the first is. Run this manually, from the special account:

./archives/bin/logcmd -log ./archives/log/cron.log -- ./archives/bin/read-mail

The failure mode is a bit odd:

1.  only the first message's msgid gets into msgid.cache
2.  both are concatenated to the appropriate mbox file
3.  only the first message is converted to html.

If I then go back, copy the 2nd message again into the input mailbox (/var/mail/username) and run the command again, then it fully processes the second message, whether or not the previous version was first edited out of the archives/mbox file.

Any idea what might be causing this?

It is possible that this multiple message problem was always there, and I just picked up on it now because several messages had piled up while the server was being updated, so I noticed when one of them went away.

Also, since the upgrade the procmail.log file has these:

defined(%hash) is deprecated at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.3/readmail.pl line 223.
        (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)

Thanks,

David Mathog
mat...@caltech.edu