Ever wonder how they made Mr. Ed speak? Here's a theory from an IMDB
message board, and the episode where you can see evidence in the lower
right corner @ about 10:40!

"I don't understand why they are just that...theories. Owning both "best
of" box sets and only seeing the episodes once or so each you can easily
see that a string attached to Mr Ed's halter was what was used to make him
talk. The see-thru string reflects several time on camera and is pretty
easy to see in a few, if not all of the episodes. The episode that most
proves this "theory" is *Ed, the Artist* which is on the second "best of."
In a scene where Ed is painting another horse on the bottom right hand
screen you can see that the string attached to Mr Ed goes down to a pair of
hands holding a wooden pole and the hands tug on the pole and Mr Ed moves
his mouth. I really don't know how people have never seen this and figured
out that no, it wasn't peanut butter, not electric shock, not that Mr Ed
really knew how to talk... I'm almost positive that this method was
painless and did not cause discomfort to Bamboo Harvester. So there's my
two sense, if you own the box sets watch... the string is there."

Ed, the Artist <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwCTX_p8mNg>