At 04:29 PM 2006-09-19, Ryan King wrote:
Create your own
standard markup

If I create my own, then it may be "my" standard, but its a far cry from being a widespread or universal standard.

I am not in the group in my company that develops the applications that use employee numbers. I am a user of those applications. I may develop a bookmarklet that can make it easier to use the services that they make available.

If I suggest to them that they add something like

<abbr class="employeeid" title="12345">12345</abbr>

to all pages that display the employee number, they are more likely to make the change if I say that this is a microformat that is being used across many industries as defined on http://microformats.org .

I don't think any old use of the patterns [1] should be considered a "microformat". To be considered a "microformat", use of these patterns [1] should be vetted through a process [2] to gain widespread appeal.

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/design-patterns
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/process

Paul