Hi there,

I have a question regarding mime types and microformat parsing, an area i find thoroughly confusing because of the differences in opinion on the web. I just read an article [1] that goes on about serving XHTML as text/html and why it's bad. It seems fair enough but I see it all over the place even on websites of experts like ppk, tantek's site, wordpress blogs etc... so I do it myself. The article suggests that XHTML doctype or no if it's served as text/html then it's treated as HTML. Secondly the wiki definition states they must be in (x)HTML/XML documents. If (x)HTML documents when served as text/html are treated as HTML how are the microformats still working? Does this mean microformats will work under an HTML 4.01 doctype?

I might have the wrong end of the stick if the mime type only relates to browser rendering and compatibility... like I said I'm confused.

[1] http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

Cheers,
Rob