On Feb 27, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Angus McIntyre wrote:

On 2/27/07, David Janes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Reading closely, it's not an announcement of hRelease itself, but the
announcement of an attempted use of hRelease to mark up a press
release[1]. It also notes that hRelease is not even a draft, and links to
the microformats.org process...

If people start using microformats before they've even made it into draft
stage, that's going to litter the web landscape with parser-breaking
instances of things that don't conform to whatever the final standard
turns out to be, but which are marked as if they did.

We're trying to model publishing behaviors, not change them and certainly not restrict them. If someone publishes something that doesn't match a microformat standard, parsers should be able to deal with that by checking for valid data. We should be actively *encouraging* experimentation with publishing meaningful HTML. Meaningful HTML is never litter; it all adds to a more semantic web. Meaningfulness is not defined by microformats. We have no monopoly on these ideas, and pretending we do is harmful.

While that might encourage parser builders to make their parsers robust,
it's probably not a good thing overall.

It is a good thing overall. What's not a good thing is this notion that people need some sort of approval from us to use more descriptive markup. That idea prevents people from doing the sort of experiments that lead to a better understanding of HTML semantics and it makes them resent this community for its imaginary control over the web. Calling something a microformat that isn't really a microformat might be a problem, but it's a relatively low priority compared to discouraging publishers from using better markup. We should be absolutely clear that no one needs permission to change their HTML markup.

Peace,
Scott