On Sep 4, 2007, at 12:26 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

or is that naughty? :-)

I actually do stuff like that all the time... for things like
signatures... it makes it very compact... for example...

-- <a class="vcard fn n url" href="http://changelog.ca/";>Charles Iliya
Krempeaux</a>

(It makes it so I don't have to add any extra tags... like <span>'s...
and adding hCards is as simple as just adding classes.)

I've heard some people complain because... my impression was... that
they weren't sure how to style it... but, for example, if you wanted
to style the url of an hCard, you could with...

Styling is only one practical problem (IE 6, still the most popular browser, doesn't support multi-class selectors). More importantly, I'd say, is the theoretical problem of hierarchy semantics. HTML defines hierarchy by nesting of elements, so that's what microformats do. Putting several classes together in a single element identifies the content of that element as belonging to each class, but it doesn't tell us anything about the hierarchy of those elements. With the markup above, how do we know if FN is a property of vCard or vCard is a property of URL? As the number of atomic microformats and the ways in which they might be nested in each other expands, this will move from a theoretical to a practical problem.

We could certainly define our own method of establishing hierarchy, e.g. order of classes, but HTML already has a method that generally works well. In the above example, only one extra <span> is needed to clarify that vCard is the container for the other properties. With tables (and lists) HTML's hierarchy method doesn't work as well because there are nesting limits imposed (e.g. nothing is allowed between <tr> and <td>), but I think we should more thoroughly investigate alternative solutions to this problem (e.g. colgroups), before reinventing the wheel on hierarchy semantics.

Peace,
Scott