I would hate to inflict an ISO date on my sighted readers either.

actually I don't mind sometimes showing people yyyy-mm-dd.
The general public does need a bit of education about writing dates clearly!
At least they can't be confused with some other date!

... but on many pages out in the big bad world I just see people writing
stuff like "June 12th" or (worse) "12/6" ....
I wouldn't really call those even human readable when you can't be sure
whether they intended to say 12th June 2008, 12th June 2007 or 6th December
2006!