Abbreviations are an issue as well. If we're trying to markup what
people actually publish, remember that not everyone will spell out the
month name:

October
Oct.

And other languages, like Portuguese:

Outubro
Out.

This, however, could be handled with <abbr>, without hindering accessibility.

No?

(sorry if this has been discussed. it's hard to keep up with all
discussions spanning over the mailing list and the IRC channel)
--
André Luís