Re: [uf-discuss] Re: Using for datetimes (was: Microformats and RDFa not as far apart as previously thought)

Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:10:56 -0700

On [Jun 28], at [ Jun 28] 11:09 , Ben Ward wrote:

On 28 Jun 2008, at 17:03, Ed Lucas wrote:

George Brocklehurst wrote:
Is it worth revisiting Tantek's original suggestion of using the object element to represent dates? [1]

The idea was to do something like this:

  <object data="20050125">January 25</object>

This particular example is invalid, as the data="" attribute must contain a URI, and a URI cannot start with a number.

About a week ago I wrote:

On the abbr-design-pattern page, markup rejections section [1] is the following text:

OBJECT with param value. (requires significant extra markup and CSS in order to *behave* correctly)

Can anyone provide more detail about this parenthetical rejection explanation?

If this problem has in fact been resolved (or at least improved) in more recent browser versions, I suggest we look again at using <object> and <param> together, e.g.:

I expect using <param> will result in more readable and flexible markup than data URIs.

Peace,
Scott