> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:36:07 +1000
> From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [uf-discuss] Human and machine readable data format
> To: Microformats Discuss <microformats-discuss@microformats.org>
>

> actually the suggestion of splitting the datetime into date, time and
> timezone marked up in separate elements seems to me like a good
compromise.

> yyyy-mm-dd would certainly not be as scary for humans as a full
datetime
> with timezone

It would still not be pleasant.

Month, day, year, hour, minute, second, time zone, and optional am/pm
could all be split up, removing ambiguity.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:54:57 +0100
> From: Toby A Inkster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [uf-discuss] Human and machine readable data format
> To: microformats-discuss@microformats.org
>
> Scott Reynen wrote:
>
>> I'm assuming by "different calendar," you mean non-Gregorian?  If so,
>> what are the use cases for non-Gregorian dates in hCalendar?
>
> It's not so much the case of wanting to encode non-Gregorian dates in

> hCalendar, but wanting to include non-Gregorian dates on the web page.
>
>    <abbr class="dtstart" title="2008-07-14">11 Rajab 1429</abbr>
>
> Is '2008-07-14' to be considered an appropriate expansion of the
> "abbreviation" '11 Rajab 1429'?
>
> In case anyone is wondering whether non-Gregorian calendars are used
> in practice, the Islamic calendar (used in the example above) is the
> official calendar for Saudi Arabia, and used in religious contexts in

> many other countries; the Julian calendar is still used in religious
> contexts by Orthodox Christian churches, and frequently used by
> historians to refer to many older dates; the Chinese calendar is used

> for various religious and cultural reasons not just in China, but in
> some other Asian countries, but not for any official purposes.

> I would cite specific pages that use these calendars, but I don't
> speak Arabic, Russian or Mandarin, so don't know the correct terms to

> Google for.

> So there will be cases where people want to publish non-Gregorian
> dates, but for interoperability with iCalendar, they'll need to
> include a machine-readable Gregorian equivalent date. This is an
> example of where you're going to have very significant differences
> between the human and machine-readable representations of the same
> dates.

Well, gee, if an Arabic screen reading program read out a Gregorian date
where the author was expecting an Arabic date to be read, that could be
pretty insulting.

In any case, you seem to be assuming a human entering a non-Gregorian
date (or, for that matter, a Gregorian date) can accurately transform
the human-readable date into a machine-readable date.  I can tell you
right now that I personally am 24-hour-calendar challenged.  I usually
get the 12-to-24 hour conversion right, or vice versa, but now and
then...

And I wouldn't want a screen reader to read the time to me using the
24-hour clock on a U.S. website.

I believe machines can do this translation more reliably than humans,
provided they are asked to do so.

In any case, there could be a parameter for alternate calendar.

> (It's also interesting to note that automatic translation from the
> Islamic calendar to Gregorian is impossible to perform reliably, as
> it is based on human observation of the movements of the sun and
> moon, not on the actual -- predictable -- movements of the sun and
> the moon. Thus the exact numbering of dates is not usually known very

> far in advance.)

Then it seems there would be no way to provide a reliable ISO date for
non-impending events; therefore, requiring ISO for the hCalendar record
would prevent use of hCalendar for that event.  (For that matter, you
would need latitude and longitude to eventually resolve the date and
time.)