Martin McEvoy wrote:
'-' + vendor identifier + '-' + meaningful name

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#vendor-keywords

which leads me to believe that publishers can do something like this...

but I believe that this is a lesser evil than stuffing the values into @title, a machine wont choke on the data it will just ignore it, where as at the moment people do choke on the data because it makes little sense to them, its in the wrong place.

1. Sticking a hyphen at the beginning of the property name is not all there is to it. The CSS 2.1 specification only defines error-handling for (unrecognized) vendor-specific properties only work when their names and values can be parsed with the CSS core grammar. That might well be possible with "1968-01-04"; I haven't tried to evaluate it. Alternately, you might need to put it in a quoted string (like with the value of the "content" property).

2. Just because the parsing of vendor-specific properties that do match the grammar is defined does not make them conforming. I don't think requiring microformat users to produce non-conforming, invalid CSS is compatible with microformats' selling point of building "upon existing and widely adopted standards". I don't think there's _any_ fundamental difference in terms of conformance between sticking this data into a vendor-specific CSS property and into a HTML custom attribute, and the later would be a _lot_ less hacky.

3. The hidden data problem is very hard to solve in HTML 4.01 but I think we already have more conforming "hacks" than this (data in class name, empty span with title, object data, and hidden input among them).

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis