On 12/9/07 10:58, "Frances Berriman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11/09/2007, Manu Sporny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> To us it seemed like this was an unfair argument that was thrown out
>> there whenever we disagreed with somebody that was "more senior" in the
>> community. The argument came across as "Well, you're just not analyzing
>> the correct sites - otherwise, you'd see my point... so why don't you go
>> and analyze more examples until you can prove us right". The person
>> making the previous statement doesn't have to do anything to defend
>> their viewpoint and the person creating the Microformat now has to spend
>> tens of hours collecting more examples.
>>
>> In the end, it made hAudio better - but at the expense of frustrating
>> the Microformat authors.
>
> Yeah - that frustration is understandable, but I don't think it's easy
> to say at the start of a project how much (# wise) is enough.  Perhaps
> that should be iterative itself... go off and find 30, do you have
> conclusive evidence... if not, find another 20..?  I wonder if review
> got by with less, because there's just less data out there already?
> The general idea is just to get "as many as you can" but that's almost
> like saying "how long is a piece of string", I agree.
>
> We'll have to give this one some more thought.  Does anyone else have
> good ideas about how to iron this out?

Just to chip in here - I've never been entirely convinced that auditing
sites for markup standards is all that beneficial

If you were proposing a tracklist uf you could look at:

Bbc.co.uk/radio1

And find text with line breaks

If you were proposing a recipe uf you could look at:

Bbc.co.uk/food

And find text with line breaks

Same goes elsewhere for news, travel etc. And not just at the bbc. More or
less everywhere I've worked has had legacy markup produced by legacy
systems.

Look outside of html and the same holds. I was recently looking through:

http://gonze.com/playlists/playlist-format-survey.html

For tips on music markup and every one was a mess of proprietary, legacy
markup

Would it not be better for ufs to standardise markup based on the domain
model than waste time wading through flakey html? [Perhaps]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on
it and notify the sender immediately.