    <h3 class="album">my album title</h3>
    by <strong class="contributor">the artist</strong>
    <ol>
        <li class="track">my track title</li>
        <li class="track">my track title</li>
        <li class="track">my track title</li>
    </ol>

    <h3 class="album">3 live bands at my local venue</h3>
    by <strong class="contributor">various artists</strong>
    <ol>
        <li class="track">
        </li>
        <li class="track">
        </li>
        <li class="track">
        </li>
    </ol>

I think that, if you want to use hAudio properties inside a track, it actually must be an hAudio element. It must not be an hAudio element if you *only* want to use plain-text. Same for contributor with regards to hCard. Would seem most sensible to me.

Even though the tracks aren’t marked up as hAudio element and hence
have no ‘position’ attribute, should ‘position’ be implied by the
position of the track in the <ol>?

My thoughts are that it should be... but with the ability to override
the <li> numbering scheme. What happens if somebody only wants to list 3
of the items in the album... song 3, 5, and 8?

In that case, one would either use an unordered list (and have no numbering) or just use a full-blown haudio element and specify the position via the position property as that would *always* override any implied formatting. Implied formatting should accommodate for the most common use cases and be kept simple, I think.

It’s the same with implied fn formatting. It works fine in most cases, and if one wants something more fancy, one just uses given- name and family-name etc.

Note the use of haudio on the <li>s, I’m using properties of haudio instead of plain-text, so a new nested haudio element should be required imho.

That would result in the following mark-up:

    <h3 class="album">3 live bands at my local venue</h3>
    by <strong class="contributor">various artists</strong>
    <ul>
        <li class="track haudio">
        </li>
        <li class="track haudio">
        </li>
        <li class="track haudio">
        </li>
    </ul>

Your example brings up something new; the various artist album case. From common sense I’d say one should be able to omit the contributor in that case. The parser then should assume it is a various artist album and either say ‘various artists’ (less colloquial, obviously ;)) and/or, if available, construct it from the contributors in the ‘track haudio’ elements. The decision about what to do/display would then be in the hands of the person using the parser for his specific project.

I’m aware though that this leads to a dangerous path of assumptions and implications. It may be common sense and thus not very complicated for *me*—but someone else may think differently. Then again, it *really* makes sense to me. But I think we really need some more opinions on this case.

PODCAST is disputed by Martin and since I'm the only person that is
backing it based on the examples, it will probably be dropped unless
somebody else wants to see the ability to mark up PODCASTs via hAudio.

That's assuming those who don't want a podcast class don't want to be able to markup podcasts, which in my case is a false assumption. I don't want a podcast class because I think we can markup podcasts without it. Specifically, hAtom + hAudio = a podcast. If you see something missing there, please clarify what exactly.

I haven’t given that case a lot of thinking, but I really like that solution. It even mirrors the technical definition of a podcast and makes it digestible by the whole toolchain I image one would want to use on it.