From: Steve Chan <sychan...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 9:55 AM
Subject: Fwd: [eecs-announce] LBNL/CS Distinguished Lecture by Vint Cerf,
TODAY 1:20-2:30pm
To: Steve Chan <syc...@berkeley.edu>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kathy Yelick <yel...@berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 6:57 AM
Subject: [eecs-announce] LBNL/CS Distinguished Lecture by Vint Cerf, TODAY
1:20-2:30pm
To: eecs-annou...@eecs.berkeley.edu
Cc: Lisa Theobald <latheob...@lbl.gov>

[image: 2011-VintCerf-3.jpg]
<https://cs.lbl.gov/assets/Images/News/2016/VintCerf/2011-VintCerf-3.jpg>
Vint Cerf

*Safety, Security and Privacy in the Internet of Things*
Vinton G. Cerf, Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist for Google
50B Auditorium at LBNL
January 27th, 1:30-2:30, followed by Q&A 2:30-3:00

We are surrounded by an increasing number of Internet-enabled devices. They
measure, control and carry out tasks on our behalf. But they are software
artifacts and subject to mistakes - leading to risks of penetration, abuse
and re-purposing. Think '100,000 refrigerators take over Bank of America!'
It is incumbent on software and systems design engineers to think through
these seriously negative scenarios to defend these devices and their users
from harm. I have more questions than answers but I hope a discussion will
produce some new insights. Strong authentication and cryptography may help
to solve some of these problems but have their own implementation
challenges. The general public has a role to play with regard to achieving
access control, for example.

Cerf is the co-designer of the TCP/IP protocols and the architecture of the
Internet. He has served in executive positions at MCI, the Corporation for
National Research Initiatives and the Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency and on the faculty of Stanford University.  More information is
available here
<https://cs.lbl.gov/news-media/news/2016/internet-pioneer-vint-cerf-to-give-jan-27-cs-distinguished-lecture/?utm_source=Loop&utm_campaign=345acf07c5-2016_InTheLoop_January_19&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6ff696e18a-345acf07c5-77491513>
.
Katherine Yelick
Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
525 Soda Hall, #1776
University of California at Berkeley
Email: yel...@berkeley.edu

"Sow a thought, reap an action. Sow an action, reap a habit. Sow a habit,
reap a character. Sow a character, reap a destiny." - Samuel Smiles