It seems middlegen and hibernate tools have similar problems when it comes to mapping composite keys that use the same column more then once in a foreign key or using the same column more then once in just the a many-to-one. Both seem to have to be manually modified to include insert=’false’ and update=’false’. Why is this? So far Max an Gavin on the hibernate forum have already  help me a little using the hibernate tool, but I have 1300 tables  to generate mappings for and to manually go back and change this is very time consuming.  Any ideas on how to work around this would be appreciated.