On Sun, 07 Jun 2020 13:42:53 -0700, SGalmes stated:

>> Seems that you do not have permissions for `C:\Program Files`.
>> Choose a per-user installation.
>
>Thnak you very much, though it seems the reason was that Program Files
>already contained an old MiKTeK 2.9 folder.

That is a problem I have experienced several times before when
reinstalling MiKTeX. From experience, I have found that I need to sign
in as an 'administrator' and delete every last ounce of MiKTeX before
attempting a fresh installation. Obviously, I do a reboot and sign in
as my regular user before the reinstall.

--
Gerard