> I am in the process of uploading a GCC 4.7 build with posix threading
> (this means all the C++11 multithreading functionality in <thread> and
> <mutex> should work).
>
> This build is "experimental", mostly because it's ABI incompatible
> with my other builds. Every C++ and some C applications will
> implicitly depend on the libwinpthread dll. Don't worry, it won't eat
> your computer. One more DLL won't kill you.
>
> I (and I imagine Kai) will be very interested in performance and
> general usability information.
I am glad to see winpthread-based implementation. Based on limited
evidence, I have the experience of timed mutexes being particularly slow
on windows, compared to Linux (via boost::threads, which IIRC uses
pthreads on Linux and Win32 API on windows). I am looking formward to
some real performance comparisons, which I am not able to do myself.

Cheers, Vaclav