Hi Ray,

.idl.h: crt/_mingw.h
-       $(WIDL) -DBOOL=WINBOOL -I$(srcdir)/include -I$(srcdir)/direct-x/include
-Icrt -I$(srcdir)/crt -h -o $(srcdir)/$@ $<
+       $(WIDL) -DBOOL=WINBOOL -I$(srcdir)/include -I$(srcdir)/direct-x/include
-Icrt -I$(srcdir)/crt -h -o $@ $<

The current code is indeed a hack, but it's intentional. Compiling with
--with-widl is a maintainer-like mode and is supposed to change files in
source directories.

That said, --with-widl works best if ran in config where
srcdir=builddir, because widl-generated comments look better then. We
could change the way it works like you propose (so that if someone
really wants widl-maintainer more, he is expected to build from srcdir),
but for that I think we'd need a warning in configure when someone uses
--with-widl and srcdir!=builddir.

Thanks,
Jacek