On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Corinna Vinschen <vinsc...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to resurrect a patch which has been refused last year, but
> I think it's still helpful and maybe the opinions have changed a bit.

Sorry.. did I refuse it?  Can you link to the mailing list archive (I
understand that the SF interface blows for that...)

> For people building just the latest mingw64-headers and mingw64-crt,
> it's kind of surprising that mingw64-crt requires that the headers
> are already installed.  In theory, the right thing to do should be
> that mingw64-crt is build after mingw64-headers, and then prefer the
> just built in-tree headers over the already installed headers.

I'm a little confused here.  What we require, ie, the only situation
that we support, is when the version of the headers is the same
version of the crt.  Ie, svn checkout revision.  Anything outside of
that will probably work, of course, but nobody tests it.

Now, in terms of the configure test that errors out in the case of not
finding _mingw_mac.h, that is due to the fact that the headers are
required to build the crt.  We don't care where they are, we just care
that they exist.  If they don't, the crt build will be all fouled up.

The default, of course, is for the headers to exist in the sysroot
that the crt is getting installed into.  This is a fairly common usage
pattern, and modeled after the gcc build.  If they're somewhere else
instead, you can just use --with-sysroot=some/wheres/else

In fact, the help text for with-sysroot even says this:
     --with-sysroot=DIR       Search for headers within DIR/include

So if you for whatever reason want to stage a build of
mingw-w64-headers in /tmp/my/dir, you just build the crt with
--with-sysroot=/tmp/my/dir

Does that not work for you?