> I think we should ignore that somebody uses -mno-sse for x64.  First
> this would be clearly an ABI-breakage, due SSE is mandatory in
> calling-convention.
Agreed.

TIL: x64 uses SSE features for passing parameters (for example using
XMM0 for floating point).

>> There is a similar question for MemoryBarrier().  The mfence instruction
>> is SSE2.  Check for __SSE2__ or not?
> Well, not sure here.  AFAIR is SSE2 present for all more modern x64
> CPUs, but well, here this check might make sense.
Turns out that x64 always supports SSE2 (per
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2#Notable_IA-32_CPUs_not_supporting_SSE2).

So, while I'm checking for __SSE2__ in the x86 branch, I'm not for x64.

Patch to come shortly.

dw