> we are capable to handle dll-imports without the proper
> decoration of the symbol.

I understand why you want to have the stubs.  This made more sense to me
once I saw that __builtin_memset ends up using them to call __imp_memset.

> If a symbol is marked as dllimport, it means it becomes part of the
> DECL itself.  So we get conflicts with people simply doing prototypes
> without.  By this reason - and some issues about builtin-optimization
> for such symbols - we decided to remove by those symbols the CRTIMP
> decoration.

Argh!  Yes, I see what you mean.  Even if you aren't using posix, if you
have your own definition for any of these functions, warning messages
can appear.  Unless the _CRTIMP def comes after the non-imp.

I'm trying to decide what is the proper balance here:

Side A (Change to use _CRTIMP or _POSIXPREFIX): People who use headers
that conflict with ours AND who use our headers first will get easily
suppressed warning messages.
Side B (Leave as is): We have runtime performance issues with any
posix-ish functions.

Given that my current project is so performance sensitive, I'm heavily
biased towards B.  But maybe this one should just sit for a while.
Perhaps a better approach will occur to me.

> And I kindly ask not to touch the default behavior here as it might
> cause breakages at pretty unexpected places.

I didn't even start trying to change stdio.h until I heard back from
you.  This seemed so odd that I had to ask.

If we did add some type of #define here, it would also be a good place
to document all this.  I'm a big believer in capturing this kind of
knowledge, but you've got to have a place where people will find it.

dw