Hi,

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013, wynfi...@gmail.com wrote:

> I need some advice on configuration options for building the GNU readline
> library.
> I am new to win-builds and mingw64
>
> Platform is:  MS Windows XP SP3.  I have the latest cygwin installed and the
> new win-builds separately installed.
>
> When invoking the configure script which comes with GNU readline source I do
> the following:
>
>   ----
> wb=/cgydrive/c/win-builds-w32
> PATH=$wb/bin:.:$wb/local/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:$wds:$s
> PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/cygdrive/c/win-builds-32/lib/pkgconfig

I don't think you can use the compilers provided by win-builds directly
under cygwin. As you've already seen, they expect windows-style paths
while cygwin will hand them posix-style ones.

I haven't checked yet but you should be able to use the cross-compilers
provided by cygwin as "mingw64-i686-gcc(-g++)" or with "x86_64 instead
of "i686". This means you wouldn't prepend $wb/bin to your PATH and
probably not put $wb/local/bin either.

The restriction is that the compilers from win-builds and from cygwin
must have compatible configurations, especially for C++. This mostly
means sjlj exception on 32b and SEH ones on 64b; which are the default
settings.

Your current pkg-config and libdir settings seem good. To sum up, you
need the cygwin compiler (installed and default value for PATH) and the
win-builds binaries (set PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR and --libdir).

> ./configure --host=i686-w64-mingw32 --prefix=$wb/local --libexecdir=$wb/sbin
> --libdir=$wb/lib --includedir=$wb/include

You probably don't need to set all these paths (in particular
libexecdir); configure should set most of them properly by itself.

Start with only --host, --prefix and --libdir. Add --includedir if some
includes are not found while they're in this directory.

> I am not sure if the "--host=i686-w64-mingw32"  is valide for the win-builds
> distribution.

It is the right triplet for 32 bits.

> The configure script is finding and using the Cygwin environment, which I
> think is not want should be done.

I guess it tries to use the win-builds-provided GCC but fails to do so
because of paths and fallbacks to the cygwin one.

> I am attaching the full output the configure script as a file.

If you continue to have issues, could you send me the config.log file?
Don't send it on the mailing-list since it is usually a fairly big file
which makes up for a fair amount of data when multiplied by the number
of list subscribers.

Regards,
Adrien nader