Hi Nicolás,

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021, Nicolás Ojeda Bär wrote:

I was wondering if the recent addition of ucrt support to the mingw64 toolchain could allow the use the math routines from the ucrt (which are hopefully faster) in place of the current implementations.

Do you know if this would be possible technically and whether there are any plans in this direction?

Technically, with UCRT one could indeed avoid statically linking our own implementation of a lot of functions, by calling the CRT version of them instead; this both would reduce the size of binaries (by statically linking fewer functions) - this aspect was known to me before. I hadn't thought about the potential performance benefits of it before though.

I remember that I did try to make a patch to this effect at some point, but I wasn't satisfied with how it turned out (it felt like it made a complicated structure into even more of a mess), but I'll try to revisit it, to see if it'd be worth it still, or if it'd be possible to solve neater in soem way.

// Martin