On 10/23/22 04:16, JonY via Mingw-w64-public wrote:
On 10/22/22 19:52, Martin Storsjö wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2022, Jacek Caban wrote:

On 10/22/22 18:34, LIU Hao wrote:
Hello,

Attached are final patches for mcfgthread support in the CRT. Please review.

Perhaps to a little surprise, I don't like it. My main issue is that it requires mingw crt to be aware of 3rd party library details instead of being agnostic to threading model.

Just for the record - I totally agree with Jacek here (and with Jacek, Nixman and the others on gcc-patches).

// Martin

I also think this is a bit too invasive for the base crt libraries, if anything.

I was hoping mcfgthread in gcc would be an in-development model as a preview of things to come, where things are expected to change and ABI to break, with the regular win32 thread as the stable model.

That's pretty well understood at this point. We have LLVM libc++ implementation, Wine msvcp* implementation and even open sourced MS msvcp implementation. They all mostly agree on primitives used to implement threading support. There are even patches for libgcc that implement it the right way, but they were never merged.

mcfgthread uses a very different approach, reimplementing things instead of using OS support. I still haven't heard a single sensible good reason to do that (and the reason given on gcc-patches is simply not true, as I explained there).

Jacek