On 14 Oct 2016, at 11:34, Mindy <mi...@somerandomidiot.com> wrote:
> On 10/14/2016 05:29 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> Good news everyone! The experimental documentation repository at
>> http://docs.mirage.io now builds again, and has been refreshed to the latest
>> set of libraries assembled from the MirageOS3 dev remote at
>> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-dev
> This is extremely cool!  Thanks a ton for getting this up and running, Anil.
> Also, thanks to Daniel B├╝nzli, the author of odig!
> I notice that "version" is listed as "?" for many of the packages (including
> http://docs.mirage.io/ipaddr/index.html , which should have a proper version
> number of the form we usually see in the main opam repository).  What's the
> best place to report issues like this?  Maybe the issue tracker for odig
> itself?

Good question.  What needs to happen is for all the packages to respect the
odig packaging conventions [1] of installing the "opam" file along with library
files and CHANGES/README files.

This happens automatically if you port the package to use topkg [2], but it
would also be helpful to have an Oasis rule so that we can rapidly port
existing libraries to make their metadata available.

Some useful issues may be:
- [development mode for odig to find non-ported packages]:
- [how to customise the index page]: https://github.com/dbuenzli/odig/issues/7

Daniel's point in the page customisation issue #7 is a good one -- it is better
to embed our general help in an OCaml module, since then it can be used in
non-HTML output (and Merlin and other editor tools) much more easily than if we
write HTML help directly.

[1] Currently buried in
https://github.com/dbuenzli/odig/blob/master/src-bin/help.ml#L51 or `odig
--help` if installed.