> On 2 Feb 2018, at 19:07, Richard Mortier <richard.mort...@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On 02/02/2018 18:17, Mindy Preston wrote:
>> On 02/02/18 06:32, JIM Yuan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed Xen on Ubuntu 16.04 Server, which runs as a VM in VirtualBox
>>> 5.2.6 on macOS.
>> I think nested virtualization (running Xen within another hypervisor) is not
>> very well supported (perhaps someone more familiar with the current state of
>> nested virt in Xen can comment more?), and I'm not surprised that there are
>> problems with a unikernel that tries to use network resources there.  I
>> would recommend trying with a hypervisor running directly on hardware, not
>> virtualized itself.
>
> FWIW that used to work, at least for me. I will admit to not having done it
> recently though, so perhaps somewhere in changes to OSX, Virtualbox, Xen and
> Mirage over the last year or two, things have changed.

Indeed — this doesn’t look like a nested virt crash to me, since it has
attached to netfront and is crashing quite late in boot.  I’ll see if I can
reproduce it later, as I’m suspicious that this might be due to a change
somewhere in newer Xen device models.  It’s hard to tell without a gdb
backtrace for sure where it’s crashing.

Anil