[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
hello from Italy

today I got IP address 2.244.115.65 fetching the whole apache
archive with a download manager.
This makes me think it's a new mirror or want-mirror, but the
IP reverse does not resolve nor is the address trackable with geoip.

If you 2.244.115.65 are a mirror, please mind that the correct source
to fetch data is rsync(.eu).apache.org . Syncing from another mirror
is trivial.

Just as a general note, the main Apache site gets hit virtually every day with crazy clients that download the entire site over http or download the same file thousands of times. I'm fairly sure that 99% of cases are simply very broken software with very stupid users. They do not generally look like mirror attempts or deliberate DoS attacks.

There isn't much that can be done about it. Apache httpd is relatively week in the area of real-time client throttling. Sometimes firewall tuning can help, but in general it is something you're going to have to live with if you put a large chunk of stuff on the web.

Joshua.