> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Martin Braun <yellowgoldm...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > As we all know on the front page of OpenBSD it says "Only two remote holes
> > in the default install, in a heck of a long time".
> >
> > I don't understand why this is "such a big deal".
> >

> Because their shit don't stink?  Unlike other distributions that are
> defective upon install?
>
> You cannot understand why that is not a big deal?

    On Mar 13, 2014 11:06 PM, "Martin Braun" <yellowgoldm...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi

    I have recently experienced a server being "hacked" due to a security
    problem with a PHP application that made it possible for the "hacker"
    to gain a web shell.

Software security is a tricky thing.  If Martin's PHP got hacked, it
is likely he does not have a strong understanding of the underpinnings
of how holing happens.   That's fine.  I don't tune my engine either.

1) Some attacks are possible because of rather simple logic errors
   in the software.
   (**** everyone makes logic errors...)

2) Other attacks involve extremely complex mechanisms and, depend
   upon memory layout conditions that can be guessed or controlled
   by an attacker.  This attack surface received significant attention
   starting around 2001.

   (**** this is where OpenBSD's efforts have focused attention, with
   tremendous effect, meaning the mitigations we trailed are now proven
   enough your phones have them enabled system-wide, but your Linux boxes
   do not.)

3) Other attack mechanisms are based on configuration errors, and
   sometimes default configuration processes trick people into
   those mistakes
   (**** our group argues for simpler setups, shrug)

4) The list goes on, but the above 3 cover the most serious penetrations.

None of us know which particular combination of things got Martin's
environment fried.

I hazard a guess that he can't believe that a group exists who have
focused on this for 20 years, with such success over 10 years.

Obviously other software groups are better financed...

Anyways, it is possible to succeed.

The explanation is simple, we traded about 5% of application
performance for built-in ALWAYS-ENABLED security mitigations that we
found in research papers, or elsewhere, or invented ourselves.
Because machines keep getting faster, our community barely noticed the
performance loss.

But they notice that they were not getting holed.

That's worth praising.

Good god, Ubuntu says you can "Start, drag, drop, deploy, done!"
Unbelievable, how pathetic a claim.  You go get 'em, Martin...