On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Tony Lambiris wrote:

I just upgraded some 3.6 boxes to 3.7... here is the process I took:

------[ SNIP
Okay, I think I figured out the intricacies of upgrading to 3.7

You need to get the source to 3.6 from an ftp server (src.tar.gz) in the 3.6/i386 directory.

You need to update to the latest 3.6 source:
cd /usr/src && cvs -d $CVSROOT -q up -rOPENBSD_3_6 -Pd

Build gcc3 w/ 3.6 sources:
http://openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#NewCompiler

(You need to build gcc with 3.6 sources, I already tried with 3.7 and it fails -- the whole chicken/egg thing)

Unpack the 3.7 source tree, and inside /usr/src run a `make includes`

Once you have followed those outlined steps, you should be able to rebuild the 3.7 tree:
cd /usr/src && make obj && make depend && make build


Once the system has finished building (and new kernel is in place), sync up the ports to 3.7 and install mergemaster:
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/mergemaster && make install clean



Once your /etc tree is synced up, reboot! ------[ SNIP

Did you manage to make the release? The kernel for ramdisk c is too large (I think this was mentioned on the list around end of march), and so the release process fails building the install floppy.


I don't like the idea of upgrading my other boxes via source. And I am not patient enough to wait for march 19th :)

Greetings
  Markus



Reply via email to