Rod Dorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Of course, unless several people are getting the same torrent at
> > the same time, it degenerates into a simple download from the seed
> > machine and downloading from an FTP mirror would be faster.  ...
>
> This is getting off topic but I thought that once a client received some
> pieces it would start sharing those pieces with other clients.

Yes, it does, but that presumes that there are other clients.  If
you now look at http://openbsd.somedomain.net/, you'll see that for
most torrents there is one seed and no clients at all.  If you now
fetch, say, the latest sparc64 snapshot you will be the sole client
with nobody else around to share with.

And yes, it is a reasonable assumption that when 3.7 is released
there will be a swarm of downloaders for the release on the more
popular platforms.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]