On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 01:52:34PM -0400, Adam wrote:

> No, there you go living in a little fantasy world where you can say
> things and they are magically true.  Python and java are both
> significantly slower than C#, especially python, its not even close.

I wonder what you mean by C# here; you of course need to refer to
the underlying implementation (Mono, using the Boehm GC we love to
hate, is a very different beast from the MS implementation).  But
lets not get bogged down in specifics eh?

> And the functional languages aren't comparable because they are
> functional languages.

Why?  OCaml isnt a functional language, its a language which supports
higher-order functions.  And its native-code performance beats the
living daylights out of any C# implementation I've seen.  But really,
who cares?  They both work on OpenBSD, pick one :)

--
Anil Madhavapeddy                                 http://anil.recoil.org
University of Cambridge                          http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk