Melameth, Daniel D. wrote:

> I've looked into this further and still cannot determine where the issue
> lies.  Based on some advice, I unplugged the OpenBSD machine and setup a
> Windows XP machine instead.  The Windows native PPPoE client was able to
> download at 5.5Mb/s and the OpenBSD machine was still stuck at 1.5Mb/s.

My ADSL connection where I do my testing is only 256Kb, so I set up a
second OpenBSD machine on the same LAN as a pppoe server and did some tests.

I get almost the same performance with or without pppoe.
ie. up to 70Mbps, after increasing the socket buffer size in iperf.

This is -current, so Marco's comments about idle loop may also apply.

Note that, if debugging is turned on, it would not go above 1.5Mb/s,
due to excessive amount of logging, make sure that you do not somehow
turn debug on by default.

Another thing to try would be to replace your ethernet card.
The xl(4) said to be quite crappy.

Can