I'm curious as to how programs actually get ported from one OS to another, and if certain directions are easier than others. That is, how does one figure out what needs to be changed in order to make OpenNTPD work on Linux? Is it generally easier to move a program from $some_bsd to $some_other_os, or from $some_other_os to $some_bsd? How would you even begin to port something like OpenSSH to a non-Unix system like Windows? Does the chosen language (C, C++, Java, etc) make a difference in difficulty? When I've built from ports, I can see make files doing OS detection, but from there (not being a very good coder), I can't really make out how it changes the code based on that. Any recommendations for "casual programmer" books would be cool... I'm not interested in becoming a kernel hacker or driver programmer, but at least being able to understand what's going on would be nice.