Winston Williams wrote:
> This is a continuation of my 'sshd suddenly not responding' message from
> Tuesday.

So you start a new thread.  *sigh*

And you continue to waste our time by not providing real information.

Hint: if we all aren't saying, "Me, too!", you have an unusual problem,
and you have to explain what is different about YOUR machine vs. our
machines...which often get uptimes that only prove we aren't keeping
them properly updated.

in other words..  DMESG, DAMMIT!

Wild A**ed Guess: You have something on the box that is either using or
leaking lots of memory, and the system is memory-locking.  Processes are
asking for RAM, there is none available, so the process waits for some
other task to release some RAM, but that never happens, so the machine
seems to "lock".  Yes, this happens.  Any task already running which
needs NO additional RAM will continue to work, but nothing new will
start (in short: the box responds to pings, and almost nothing else).
This could be caused by not enough real RAM, not enough swap (which also
means, not enough real RAM), and/or apps which either pig out on RAM or
leak it.  Solution is to fix your apps, add memory and/or swap.

Seeing a dmesg, configuration information, applications, etc. would give
me some idea if this might be right or not.  Lacking that, I'm declaring
myself right and moving on. :)

Nick.