Nick Holland wrote:

> >> Each server detects a diferent geometry for the SCSI
> >> disks  :-?
> >>
> >> server1 -> geometry: 817199/87/1 [71096313 Sectors]
> >> server2 -> geometry: 2843852/25/1 [71096300 Sectors]
> >> server3 -> geometry: 4425/255/63 [71087625 Sectors]

> >> dmesg, fdisk and disklabel:
> >> http://195.55.55.164/tests/OpenBSD/server1.txt
> >> http://195.55.55.164/tests/OpenBSD/server2.txt
> >> http://195.55.55.164/tests/OpenBSD/server3.txt

> Ken was zooming in on something, I'm looking at something I am finding
> even stranger:
>
> sd0 at scsibus1 targ 0 lun 0: <LSILOGIC, 1030 IM, 1000> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
> sd0: 34715MB, 34715 cyl, 16 head, 128 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 71096320 sec total
> sd1 at scsibus1 targ 2 lun 0: <IBM-ESXS, MAS3367NC FN, C901> SCSI3 0/direct
> fixed
> sd1: 34715MB, 27150 cyl, 4 head, 654 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 71096640 sec total

Nick, might it be the hardware raid1 for the first two disks the guilty?
(note that hd0+hd1=sd0 and hd2=sd1)

afaik hardware raid is abstracted to the OS and it _should_ be
transparent. Certainly it works with SuSE Linux and FreeBSD, even
they were able to use the ServerRaid 6i controller but since it
isn't supported by OpenBSD I remove it. Anyway the onboard SCSI
card can do hardware raid1 which I'm using in all servers, simply
because it's a lot more easy to configure it that software raid for
the root partition. I would like to keep the configuration as easy
as possible and not too OpenBSD specific since not all coworkers
are BSD guys :-(

> Since when did LSILOGIC start making HARD DISKS with the exact same
> model number as their SCSI adapter??  Something is going seriously
> wrong there.  (I'm guessing since you have three "identical" machines,
> they probably have six identical HDs).

I think the driver is confused by the hardware raid.

> At this point, Simplify, Simplify, Simplify.
> Drop to one drive, then the other.  Something is going seriously
> wrong there.

I will try to install OpenBSD in a spare disk.

> Otto's right, I think at this point, the fact that anything here is
> working here is more good luck than good management.  Something is
> broke.  You don't have one bad and two good machines, you got three
> stinkers, but one of them rubs your nose in it more.

the servers aren't in production so this is the moment to test
things like these.

> Does your adapter's BIOS see the drives properly (i.e., not
> LSILOGIC 1030.  Most will give you some kinda clue what kinda drive
> they have attached)?  Try a different adapter, try a different cable,
> different drives, etc.
>
> Move the drives that "work" to the machine that doesn't -- does the
> problem follow the drive, the computer or the SCSI adapter? (probably
> on board...but if not, move the adapters around, too).
>
> At this point...I'm suspicious you found a nasty bug in the SCSI driver
> for that card, but a (set??) of really bad cables might explain it, too.

do you mean in the OBSD SCSI  driver?

> Yes, I have seen piles of parts were every single one was bad in a similar
> way...  Could also be a very bad jumper option on the drives, too.

Do you know if it's a supported configuration for OpenBSD?

--
GCS/IT d- s+:+() a31 C+++ UBL+++$ P+ L+++ E--- W++ N+ o++ K- w---
O+ M+ V- PS+ PE+ Y++ PGP+>+++ t+ 5 X+$ R- tv-- b+++ DI D++>+++