The same behavior happens on Dell's serial console redirection.  It
happens when you boot FreeBSD too.  As soon as the kernel starts output
ANSI characters it goes dead.

Dell lets you toggle between VT100/220 mode and ANSI mode, but it's
unaffected.  The kernel output just kills it.

Dell has an option "Continue after OS Load"

The trick is disable that boolean and  make a custom boot/install CD
with an etc/boot.conf that redirects.

You'd think that between the collective minds at HP and Dell, they'd
have licensed Real Weasel / PC Weasel technology.

Till the list archives for details.

~BAS