On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> My work to fix the userland disk utilities (fdisk, disklabel, newfs)
> to work properly on large file systems always has been handicapped
> because I do not have very large disks. I think I managed to make all
> legal block and fragment size combinations work in 3.7, but I always
> have to resort to svnd tricks to test my stuff. Now as you all know
> testing using a "simulation" always has the chanche of hiding real
> bugs or introducing problems that would not have occurred using the
> real thing, and so introducing noise in the test results.
>
> So if some kind persons are willing to donate some large disks (say >
> 150G), I'd be very happy. Ideally I want to be able to create 1TB file
> systems, the limit of UFS1. I do not need a single disk that large,
> since I can use ccd(4). I can use both IDE and SCSI disks. I do not
> have a mortherboard that has SATA.

Indeed, some kind persons donated enough so I have now 4 300MB SATA
disks coming my way, plus a LSI MegaRAID SATA controller. I already
have a machine with 4 empty bays and power to spare, so I expect to
have a setup that's capable of creating large file systems running
soon.

In the mean time, I'm creating some test programs to fill file systems
with files containing simple patterns, so I later check the contents
both by reading and checking the complete file or just by sampling of
some bytes at different offsets.

Thanks to all who donated!

        -Otto