On 7/11/05, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Adam Fabian wrote:
>
> > I've tried building an OpenBSD release from the 3.7-stable branch a
> > few times in the last few days, on two different i386 machines, and
> > both stopped in the same place.  I'm following release(8) closely and
> > not trying to reuse /usr/obj, and dealing with new, clean, complete,
> > consistent checkouts of the code.  The failure comes on step 4, (make
> > and validate the system release) during the "make release" command in
> > /usr/src/etc.
> >
> > Here's a log of the failure.  It seems to be working on RAMDISKC:
>
> Ummm - maybe I don't understand but, how can you make a RELEASE from

You aren't understanding. Read the release(8) manpage, it'll explain.
It is fully supported.

> STABLE? Isnt STABLE following the patch branch? And RELEASE is jsut that
> - what's on the CD?
>
> If i'm correct - then you can't do that. If I'm correct, think of it this
> way:
>
> RELEASE = what you buy.
> STABLE  = is what you follow for security patches
> CURRENT = is what you run as a developer. It's kinda like a Beta of the
> next RELEASE.

Basically, you take the stable source branch, and build a CD release
from that source. the release branch is what's on the cds, but
building a release is just making a CD that's like the CD release, but
from different sources if you so choose. The problem the OP is having
was caused by one of the stable patches to the 3.7 kernel, making it
just too big to fit on a floppy, which has been talked about in at
least one previous thread.

Jason