Artur Grabowski wrote:
> Fredrik Roubert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I have attached the output of dmesg. Any tips on what the most important
>> things to investigate are? Is there any other information I should post?
>
> Ok.
>
>> OpenBSD 3.5 (GENERIC) #34: Mon Mar 29 12:24:55 MST 2004
>
> Your problems start here.

yep, upgrading to 3.7-stable or -current would be a good step.

>> cpu0: Intel Pentium (P54C) ("GenuineIntel" 586-class) 133 MHz
>> cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8
>> cpu0: F00F bug workaround installed
>
> This is a problem.

Naw.  P133s will pump plenty of data with simple rules, at least if the
next bit is actually working for him:

>> real mem  = 16363520 (15980K)
>> avail mem = 9117696 (8904K)
>
> And this.

Ouch.  Well...that's less than I'd use, but the way PF uses RAM, it
either works or it doesn't.  If the kernel runs out of RAM, it goes
boom, not slow.  On the other hand, if you call up vi while running, the
system will start swapping, and that would suck.  REALLY suck.

32M would be nice.  That's four 8M sticks, anyone who has 'em will
probably give them to you.  Even 24M would be a non-trivial improvement
for you (your available RAM would probably go from something like 2M to
8M...that's a large increase).

HOWEVER, since you are complaining about performance, not
crash-and-burn, I suspect this is not your problem, but I also suspect
you will not be wondering what the extra RAM did for you once you
install it.

>> apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.1
>> apm0: APM engage (device 1): power management disabled (1)
>> apm0: AC on, battery charge unknown
>
> Probably this too.

wouldn't be my first guess, but Art knows this area MUCH better than I
do, so I'm not saying a thing here.

>> ep1 at isapnp0 "3Com 3C509B EtherLink III, TCM5095, PNP80F7, " port 0x210/16
>> irq 9: address 00:60:97:39:50:2d, utp (default utp)
>
> Dear god. This too.
>
>> ep2 at isapnp0 "3Com 3C509B EtherLink III, TCM5095, PNP80F7, " port 0x220/16
>> irq 10: address 00:60:97:12:1d:a6, utp (default utp)
>
> And this.
>
> //art

Yes, I'd be starting with the NICs.

Actually, I'm surprised by your "OpenBSD attached directly to cable
modem" performance numbers.  Having data flow through two of those
cards, yes, will really hurt your ISA bus, but I'd expect one to take a
good chunk of your available wire bandwidth.  On the other hand...last
time I performance checked a 3c509 card was back in the 2.7 or 2.8 days...

HOWEVER, you are expecting 8Mbps performance on an 10Mbps NIC.  Baaad
idea.  You need some newer NICs -- Intel Pro/100s, or even realtek rl(4)
cards if you must (yes, they suck, but they are better than even the
best ISA cards).  If buying new, try gigabit cards, they are cheap,
they'll make better use of limited processor.

Also carefully watch things like packet size -- based on your
performance numbers, I'm really thinking something is going wrong.  It
probably isn't duplex -- when that goes wrong, it normally goes much
worse than what you are seeing, but an MTU error might be biting you,
that could explain the performance you are seeing.  I haven't seen MTU
problems on cable modems, but there could be a first time...

Nick.