greetings,

this is an extremely complicated area and one which I am completely naive, so could some kind person out there answer the following question:

will using Phil Wood's libpcap (http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/) bring any advantages for programs (such as tcpdump) that are linked to this version of libpcap? is Phil's solution only for stinky old linux kernels because the bog standard libpcap is not up to scratch?

another side question:
what platform performs best when capturing packets under extreme loads? i've heard solaris is good, as is openbsd.
any others which are worth mentioning?

thanks for your time, I'm sure this post merits the abuse it will obviously generate - or it'll be ignored completely :(

poncenby