> I can boot into kdm, login as a regular user and have a stock X working.
> I can type "startx" once I'm logged in and have kde up, but with no
> mouse functionality.

? Not sure about that one, if your mouse works in kdm.

> The relevant section of /etc/rc.local reads thus:
> #based on a solution posted by S.Marley
>
>         echo -n ' kdm'; (sleep 5; /usr/local/bin/kdm  ${kdm_flags}) &

Don't do that. Use /etc/ttys if thats the effect you want.

> "Kdm_flags" is set in rc.local.conf
>
> I have a .xsession file in ~ that has this line
>
>         exec startx

no. You would not put startx in .xsession. you would put "exec
startkde" or "exec wmaker" for example. Then upon running startx on
the shell, it would then execute your wm.

> I have also tried startkde instead of startx in .xsession, but I cannot
> get kde to come up once I'm logged in.

Thats right if your are going to use xdm. kdm will do all of that
malarky for you however. To summarize, if you want to use kdm,
.xsession is not relevant.

I think you need to tell us what exactly how you want your workstation
to behave.

Edd