On Thursday, August 4, poncenby wrote:

> I remember asking how to stop syslogd opening udp port 514 a while ago
> and never doing anything about it, here goes again...

And people asked you to search the archives.

> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
> udp        0      0  *.514                  *.*

Yes, yes, it's got a socket open.  So what?

> reading the man page doesn't really answer why there is program
> listening on udp 514, seeing as I haven't passed syslogd the -u switch
>
> -u      Select the historical ``insecure'' mode, in which syslogd will
>           accept input from the UDP port.  Some software wants this, but
>           you can be subjected to a variety of attacks over the network,
>           including attackers remotely filling logs.
>
> can anyone point me in the right direction so this annoying behaviour stops.
> also, is there a switch for netstat which shows the pid/process for each
> listening port?

About 5 F*ING LINES later the man page says:

>>   syslogd opens an Internet domain socket as specified in /etc/services.
>>   Normally syslogd will only use this socket to send messages outwards, but
>>   in ``insecure'' mode it will also read messages from this socket.
>>   syslogd also opens and reads messages from the UNIX domain socket
>>   /dev/log, and from the special device /dev/klog (to read kernel mes-
>>   sages).
>>
>>   syslogd opens the above described socket whether or not it is running in
>>   secure mode.  If syslogd is running in secure mode, all incoming data on
>>   this socket is discarded.  The socket is required for sending forwarded
>>   messages.

Read, breathe, relax...  Just because a program has a port open does not
mean it is insecure.  It could be having a port open in order to *SEND*
data, and never *EVER* receive data.

--Toby.