On 12/08/05, Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * Andreas Kahari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-08-12 15:47]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I added the African Network Information Center (AfriNIC) whois server
> > to a new switch (-f) in the whois(1) utility.
> >
> > A simple diff for whois.c and whois.1 is attached.
> >
> > The new part of the manual says:
> >

> >      -f      Use the African Network Information Center (AfriNIC) database.
> >              It contains network numbers registered on the African
> > continent.
> >

> I am not sure it makes sense to add these kind of abbreviations to our
> whois. NICs come and go, we'll soon run out of letters. I'd much prefer
> making
> $ whois 1.2.3.4
> "Just Work", but I haven't looked into that.

I agree with that principle, but Africa is one of the big land areas
out there, with a lot of countries on it, just like Asia and Europe,
and I thought it would make sense to their AfriNIC in there just like
we have APNIC and RIPE.

I will need to look more closely on how to automatically look up
AfriNIC when a RIPE entry refers to it.  I'm a bit short on time right
now, but might give it a go next week unless someone could point me in
the right direction (or simply makes it happen somehow).

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Kahari