On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:13:08 +0200, Michael Adam
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Jonathan Schleifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Michael Adam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > which is the right or preferred way to do so (since there are, as
>> > I pointed out several possible ways).
>>
>> I already answered that before:
>> Jonathan Schleifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Floppies usually don't have a partition table nor a disk label, so
>> > just newfs fd0c and you should be fine.
>
>Well yes, it is working. But still: The floppy does have a disklabel
>which does only have partition "c" by default. And it seems strange
>to me, that I should create a filesystem on a partition "c". And even
>stranger, this file system can afterwards be accessed through partition
>"a" which does not even show up in the disklabel.
>
>What puzzles me even more is the fact, that in the boot "Absolute OpenBSD"
>by Michael W. Lucas, it is said on page 310, that "FFS file systems need
>a valid partition table on every disk" and then the author desribes the
>following steps:
>  # disklabel -w /dev/rfd0c floppy
>  # newfs /dev/rfd0c
>
>which yields a disklabel with overlapping partitions, and "disklabel -E fd0"
>tells me that the disklabel has an error an offers me to disable one partition
>or the other...
>
>These are the reasons why I was not completely content with your short
>an simple answer. (I do favor simple solutions, of course!)
>
>> You also heart this from others. So it's not that your main question got
>> lost ;).
>
>Not on your side anyway... ;-)
>
>Cheers, Michael

Hi Michael,

As far as I can tell, you basically asked for the "right or preferred
way" "of putting a filesystem onto a floppy"

The best answer I know is fdformat. It works. It's simple and it's the
most commonly accepted way to do what you asked.

If by chance you are asking a different question, then unfortunately
no one on the list is actually understanding what you really want.

JCR