On 8/29/05, Matt Singerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > looks like your /etc/fstab doesn't match your disklabel... or is there
> > > some error message you need to send us?
> > >

> > > cheers, scorch
> > >
> > > --
> > > out of the frying pan and into the fire
>
> Argh. So here is what is going on:
>
> The restore seems to have worked. The system boots, services start,
> it's all hunky-dorey. However, there is no network. No. Network. I
> run ifconfig -a, and device xl0 is started ok. However, dc0 isn't. I
> don't know if it *should* be started, but the system seems to require
> it - there are calls to it in pf.conf, and in snort's config files.

 there is no network because your present network card (xl0) is not
configured.
your previous system used a network card supported by the driver

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=dc&sektion=4&apropos=0&manpath=O
penBSD+Current&arch=i386
 To find out how OpenBSD names Network cards and to set up Networking please
read
 http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#Setup
 Your present computer uses the Network card supported by the driver

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=xl&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=O
penBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html
 You can enable network in your computer by following these steps.
 1) Create a network configuration file for xl0 interface
 mv /etc/hostname.dc0 /etc/hostname.xl0
 2) Restart your network.
 sh /etc/netstart
 The above script should be explictly run in "sh" shell.
 3) Change the macro in your pf.conf for dc0 to point to xl0.
 If you did not use a macro then it is a bad practice please read
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/macros.html
 and make necessary changes to your pf.conf
 4) Reload PF ruleset
 pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf
 This should get your network up and running on the new OpenBSD box :-)
 Don't know much about snort now but am in the process of learning! sorry
:-(
 Kind regards
 Siju

If I try and run "ifconfig dc0 up", I get an error about the decide