On 2005-09-07 10:43, Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:
Theo de Raadt schrieb:
That is completely unsustainable.  The pieces we build upon are
advancing too fast.

I couldn't tell Linux is advancing slower.

I think he was speaking about software in general.

I don't buy into that method of operating system componentizatio at
 all, that you can just keep patching and patching. It was not true
15 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and I see no proof that it
will be true ever in the future.

Well, you may be right when asking for the technically 'better'
system - what I didn't do (*please* no flames now ;) ).

I believe that what he's trying to say is that both kernel and userland
will in 5 years time be much different from today, both for OBSD and
Linux. From that perspective it might be questionable to patch a system
for 5 years since either you'll end up with pretty much everything
changed from the original installation or you'll end up with a 5 years
old system with a ton of patches.

In the first case it would probably be much quicker to make a large up-
grade every 6th month than applying many small patches every week. In
the second case it will be harder to create good patches since the
systems the bugs are found in will be very different to the ones the
patches have to be made for.

--
Erik Wikstrvm