--On 12 September 2005 16:24 -0500, Tony Lambiris wrote:

We have some motherboards with (what we think) are the same chips and
revisions with the same hard drives, but some drives are being
detected as DMA and others as ATA133. Here is an example:

pciide0 at pci0 dev 17 function 1 "VIA VT82C571 IDE" rev 0x06:
ATA133, channel 0 configured to compatibility, channel 1 configured
to compatibility

pciide0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0 "VIA VT82C571 IDE" rev 0x06: DMA,
channel 0 configured to compatibility, channel 1 configured to
compatibility

Seems something's different since they're at different devices ... bios revision or settings?

See whether it follows drives, motherboards or cables when you swap them round.