I don't know how definitive the "Absolute OpenBSD" book is considered but in chapter 3, "Hardware Setup" it is written:

"First, set "Plug and Play OS" to NO. This tells your BIOS to do some basic hardware setup, rather than relying upon the OS to do everything. Modern versions of Microsoft Windows expect to handle hardware setup. OpenBSD takes advantage of the BIOS' ability to configure the hardware itself. Many PCI devices will work poorly if you do not set this option!"

Pascal