On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:49:16 +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:

>>> It's ancient but it should work.
>>
>> It was the most current I could find for this particular chipset. If
>> you know of any more modern versions that are supported for this
>> card, I'll happily install them. :-)
>
>With an old card and old OS release, it might be worth trying older
>station (secondary) firmware too... I've often seen 1.4.9 recommended
>unless newer features are required (e.g. 1.5.6 for WDS, 1.6.3 for
>beacon hiding [not that it's really useful], etc).
>
>There are collections of PRISM firmware at
><http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/firmware/> 1.4.9 to 1.8.4
><http://www.netgate.com/info/miniPCI/Prism/Firmware/> 1.1.0 to 1.7.4
>
><http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/> has more info on filename
>conventions and how to identify which cards you can use different flash
>files with (there are different files for PRISM2 and PRISM2.5, for
>example). Some things suggested on that page are linux-only though.
>
>But I think you should try a newer OS release before playing that
>game... If you want to make a quick test before installing, you could
>use a flashboot-bindist kernel.

Heck, I'm running 1.0.7/1.3.6 on a Netgear card and it works on3.6/7/8
So don't sweat it - you just may find something you want (or think you
need) doesn't happen.
Worry then. As Stuart says there is firmware "out there" if you need
it.
I thought I needed later firmware so that I could kill the beaconing.
Heh, a bit more research show that the data I would hide would be
sniffable in every packet from an associated client. Too easy.

>From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?

Do NOT CC me - I am subscribed to the list.
Replies to the sender address will fail except from the list-server.