L. V. Lammert wrote:
> I have been working with a local OS friendly hosting company to add support
> for OpenBSD. Unfortunately, they also support with Red Hat, SuSE, and
> Apple, and these vendors offer an 'Open Source Indemnification', ostensibly
> protecting against legal action from contributors.
>
> Of course, the OBSD project is meticulous about good copyright practices,
> so WE all know this isn't an issue here, but, unfortunately, the hosting
> company has lawyer(s) asking for similar 'Indemnification' for OBSD before
> they will officially allow OBSD on premesis.
>
> Question - I know that copyright law trumps 'indemnification' - especially
> given the BSD licenses on all project s/w, but has anyone dealt with this
> issue before? Can anyone point me to any legal resources that I could pass
> along to help satisfy the lawyers?

Well, you could try a little logic with the suits.
  1) Do they permit W2k?  I glanced at the license there, didn't see any
indemnification promises there.  What if GNU sues MS and all users of
W2k over improper use of code (a common bug between GPL'd code and
Windows would be pretty good evidence of such "borrowing").  How about
every other piece of software they run on their servers?
  2) What if someone runs Application X on their "legally safe" Redhat
server?  Do they audit the systems to make sure *every* app offers
indemnification?  We had a situation at my employer recently where we
had to "custom compile" Apache from source on an SuSE box.  Were we
still "indemnified" then?
  3) Indemnification for the ISP?  I've not looked over any of those
contracts, but the hosting company seems to be really far out on the
liability limb, would they really be "protected" by what you run on your
machine?  If it is your machine, are they really claiming they have to
make sure your software meets their standards?  Are they going to do
this for people running "supported" OSs?  If they are dictating
standards, are they going to accept the responsibilty for those decisions?
  4) Point out that OpenBSD created and maintains OpenSSH.  I'm sure
they would feel happy to follow the logic of their desire to be legal
risk-free and remove all Cisco, Linux, and lots of other products.
Sure, they may claim that "Redhat provides indemnification for OpenSSH".
  *IF* that's true, apparently they are either pretty confident there is
no problem with OpenSSH (which might imply that the OpenBSD project is
pretty careful), or they don't think the real risk of a lawsuit over
this stuff is significant, and it's all a big marketing game (scare you
into using our product...i.e., FUD with the emphisis on F)
  5) Anyone done a check to see if RedHat/SuSE/Apple really have the
spare cash to spend on someone else's defense?
  6) Do they feel confident that if you switch to one of the "supported"
OSs at their demand, and if your box gets rooted and lots of people's
credit card numbers (or similar) gets scattered across the 'net, that
they won't have their pants sued off them by you and your customers for
forcing you to run crapware (you probably wouldn't win that suit, but
you could end up costing them a lot of money defending it)?
  7) Do they understand that it is your money to spend with whatever
vendor they wish, and I doubt they are the only hosting company around?

Not sure any one of those is a "killer" argument, but might get them to
think about what it is they are requesting.

Nick.